A Travellerspoint blog

Paris Day 2

All of us were feeling a little worse for wear today, Julie the worst, Patrick not great, John do-so. All of us had squirmy tummys and Julie more flu-like symptoms. Julie stayed in bed while Pat & John caught the Foxity hop-on hop-off bus (if you are in Paris don't pick this line) - again waited for close to half an hour instead of 20 minutes and twice stopped for 15 minutes in a journey of not much more than an hour. We did have some entertainment whilst we waited, the Police were giving a crew of female pick-pockets (presumably) a real going-over. They were not taking any crap from these girls and essentially body-searching them on the street before stripping ghem of various items and then sending them on their way all in different directions. They are everywhere - Romanian or other Eastern Europeans who look dodgy and try to engage you in conversation on what pretext I don't know because we avoid them or tell them to bugger off! We got off close to the Palais Royale and it was well-worth visiting. It's essentially a huge block with an inner courtyard of trees, columns, landscaped gardens and an enclosed stream. Originally called the Palais-Cardinal, the palace was the personal residence of Cardinal Richelieu. The Construction commenced in 1633 and was completed in 1639. Upon Richelieu's death in 1642 the palace became the property of the King and acquired the new name Palais-Royal. Louis Philippe II, who controlled the Palais-Royal from 1780 onward, decided to commercialise the residence by letting out the area under the colonnades to retailers and service-providers and in 1784, the gardens and surrounding structures of the Palais-Royal opened to the public as a shopping and entertainment complex. It still houses up-market stores today and is still open to the public. We then walked through the grounds of the nearby Louvre Museum before heading back to the hotel. In the late afternoon we coaxed Julie out of bed to go and do the laundry. This took us through a nearby Park named after Nelson Mandella and we had a light lunch at Starbucks while waiting for the laundry. It seems Parisians love to go out on Sunday afternoons and the parks and cafes were packed. It was sunny on and off and in the low 20s so quite comfortable. Back at the hotel Julie and Patrick were still feeling crook and John had a headache so it was quits for the day. Hopefully all feeling better tomorrow!

Posted by 3kiwisabroad 13:24

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint